Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year's Day Minestrone


We had soup today; it turned out well. The three year old just stared at it and the five year old liked it a lot except for the "juice," but the baby and I loved it. Mister Lawyer will be weighing in his opinion once he gets home.

Thanks to Lost Button Studio for giving me the basic recipe for this, but I did change it up, mostly because the sacker at Kroger gave several of my bags to the person after us today and I will have to go back and reclaim what I didn't take home today. Having already put one beastling down for a nap and two out to play, I didn't have it in me to scoop them all back up and drag them to the store. So here is the modified version, which, as mentioned, was quite good:

New Year's Day Minestrone

~ 2 tablespoons olive oil
~ 1 cup frozen, chopped, onion
~ Sea salt and cracked black pepper
~ One large box chicken broth
~ 3 large zucchini, quartered and sliced
~ Bag of frozen, coined, carrots
~ 3 cans (14.5 ounces) kidney beans (I used 2 x Organic 3 Bean Mix and 1 x Red Beans)
~ 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning, pureed
~ 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
~ 1 cup dried whole wheat or whole grain pasta (This would be ideal, of course, but I was forced to steal the shell noodles out of a free box of Hamburger Helper due to the Sacker Incident).

In a large pot, heat the olive oil and add the onion. Season with salt and pepper and cook 5 minutes. Add the broth and 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Add the vegetables, beans, tomatoes, pasta, and Italian seasoning. Cook about 15 minutes until pasta is tender. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.

I will prepare this again soon similarly as I did today, but definitely with the whole wheat pasta.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading - I heart comments! Please keep them at least vaguely on topic and respectful, thanks!