Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Tax Day Ramblings

Happy Tax Day! If you haven't filed, you now have less than a half hour to do so. Unless you are on the west coast (hour and a half) or they IRS owes you. And if you aren't done with your return, you really should not be reading this blog. Go on, now - scram! Now, if they owe you then they are perfectly content to sit on your money as long as possible and aren't going to fuss about it at all. I don't blame them - if you let me borrow your money I'm not going to hound you to take it back either.

I did my parents' taxes this weekend. Filed them yesterday. Dad doesn't use a computer. Well, neither of them do. He was extremely skeptical about the idea of "e-filing." I had to explain that there was actually less of a chance of errors with it being efiled - no input errors, no lost-in-the-mail issues, etc. And the check - how would they process a check over the internet, he wanted to know? How is that possible? Would people have access to his bank account? " I don't want any part of that!"

After much cajoling, I finally convinced him to efile - namely because it was much easier than a trek with the three little ones to the Post Office. So I efiled for them on the 14th. I called afterward and told him that it went through and marveled at how easy it was. I got the confirmation email via Turbotax and sat back to wait for it to be formally "accepted" by the IRS.

Today in the late afternoon, I got the notice that it had been rejected.

No, I did not tell my parents. I did scurry about quietly fixing the clerical error and then re-sent that bad boy well before midnight tonight. I doubt they would be very impressed with the efiling system if they knew about the rejection notice. Shhh - I won't tell them if you won't.

3 comments:

  1. Just as an interesting note, apparently Blogger counts the time you begin your post, not when you actually publish it. My excuse is that finding images slowed me down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha -- than I guess it is a good thing your parents don't use a computer and that they can't read this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, right? Heh.

    I saw a comment from Lorraine, too, and it disappeared...how very odd!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading - I heart comments! Please keep them at least vaguely on topic and respectful, thanks!